Life is full of beauty. Notice it. Notice the bumble bee, the small child, and the smiling faces. Smell the rain, and feel the wind. Live your life to the fullest potential, and fight for your dreams.

Ashley Smith

Friday, March 23, 2012

Springing Forth?

Does this look like Spring?
Here it is, March 23rd...  two nights ago we got about 6 inches of snow (a real 6 inches, not like when someone spreads their hands apart about 3 inches and says 3 feet) and then this morning about another inch.
Me: Did you get the memo?
Mother Nature: What memo?
Me: That Spring started March 20th this year?
Mother Nature: Oh that memo!  Was that a 3/20? because I could of sworn that was an 8, not a 3...
Me: Sigh...
 This little guy got the memo.
It's a robin. If I could read Robin's mind, I would imagine something along the lines of "What the heck?"
 Lots of my little birds are back, the dark-eyed juncos, the red-shafted flickers, downy woodpecker.  They have been noisily complaining about the amount of snow and lack of bugs, seeds, etc. to peck at.  I apologize to them, but really what can I do?  I just keep filling their feeder so that they don't drop dead.

Anyway, I know it is unseasonably hot in a lot of places, but not. here. at. all.  Everyone is getting a little crabby.  It happens to me every year at this time.  A week of bad weather feels like a month, and when the sun peeks out everyone goes crazy- yelling and shouting "The sky is on fire!! The sky is on fire!!"  Luckily the rain clouds come quickly in to extinguish the blaze.

"Really? Snow? I told Martha it was too early to come back..."
 There is this little promise.
Peony.  Can you see it?
and soon, soon there will be this.
Early summer garden from a couple years ago.
So patience my crabby friends (avian and other!).  It will happen.  and until then we can trust in Elizabeth Bowen's words:

“Autumn arrives in early morning, but spring at the close of a winter day.”

Let's hope the winter day closes soon.  Like real soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment

“Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.” -Albert Einstein