|Happy Birthday to you... Happy Birthday to you...|
It all started a year ago, when she asked me to weave her new placemats for her birthday this year. I tormented her with photos, questions- What colors, what pattern, what size?? And she dutifully answered everything, picked a pattern, suggested colors... so I went ahead and did something totally different!! I know, I know, I'm like that.
And then, I suddenly got tired of the blue perle cotton and was forced to buy some beautiful dark green- thus 2 blue napkins and 2 green napkins.
|2 blue, 2 green|
Things I learned:
- a plain weave border looks nice, but takes up differently than a twill body. Next time, use basket weave for the border (thanks Kathy!)
- Perle cotton and rug warp cotton are not the same, they have different stretch and shrinkiness (yes, I made that word up!)
- I hate sewing. Well, not exactly true, I don't hate it, I am just not good at it- even seams, I couldn't sew a straight line if my life depended on it!
- Napkins and placemats don't HAVE to be square...
- 6 yds of warp is A LOT of warp.
- I love packaging things! One of the most fun parts was folding these up and tying them with pretty twine and a label.
|Pretty twine and label (complete with pink kitty button accent!)|
|Napkins and Placemats|
Hope you all have a very Happy Holiday!!!